Thursday, November 12, 2009

Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone

"I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Everyone is talking about how thankful they are... A few blogs I read had posts like "grati-tuesday" and "Thankful Thursday". Thanksgiving is the time of year when people reflect on what they are thankful for. So maybe it "put me in the mood" to express my feelings. I have been thankful since the moment I found out I was pregnant, but somehow what I feel is needing to be expressed...

As I sit here with my hand on my belly feeling the little movements of my baby girl, I cannot believe this is actually happening. As I look through my "what to expect when you're expecting" book, I never dreamed I would actually be carrying a baby. I have said it before, but I must reiterate - I truly NEVER thought I would have a child. The reasons behind that will remain untold, but it was my real belief that I never would. And somehow, even though I believed that, I never lost hope.
So the gratitude, the joy, the appreciation I feel is so great! Two little words "Thank you" cannot express the depth of what I feel. In this sense thank you is like I love you. How can a little phrase even try to communicate what we feel? We just have to hope and believe those who we are saying thank you and I love you too just know what we mean.

3 comments:

  1. Great post Julia :) Very sweet and heartfelt! I know just what you mean by little words not being enough to express the emotion you feel. I think anyone who is a mommy knows exactly what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you and Jason. I am also very thankful for myself. I have so much to look forward to with Audrey. Can't wait to see her, hold her, kiss her, and tell her all about what her mommy was like growing up.

    ReplyDelete